Gratitudes for the blogs on suicide

bbarker550
Spam Check: No
Spam Sum: 15

Gratitudes for the blogs on suicide

Post by bbarker550 »

I recently found this gem of a website and am so glad I did.

Thanks to Beth for bringing many of the topics taboo'd in our society, especially suicide. I sought counselling for severe anxiety, depression and suicidal ideation that I suffered from the time I was 10 years old and now at 49, I finally got better. A few of the things that bothered me deeply were that:
1. No one wanted to hear about it; my family simply denied I was suffering from mental illness and I couldn't share with friends whose biggest hurdle in life was to get over their martini hangovers.

2. Our society places a serious taboo and a snide, selfish collective belief around suicide; a belief that is so very wrong and unfitting.

I felt very reassured after reading the various articles on the topic. Finally, somebody not only understood, but knew how to react to it.

Through counselling I have reduced my anxiety and depression from severe to mild without suicidal ideation. The fact that the people I trusted and were supposed to be a support to me, but couldn't, simply added another layer to an already complex, debilitating situation.

I came to understand that suicide is a sickness, a state of mind that I had to learn to understand, heal and manage ongoing.

I am very proud of myself for the achievements I have made and only wish Beth's blogs could be printed and delivered to every doorstep and every school curriculum.

Sincerely,
Brenda
Beth McHugh

Re: Gratitudes for the blogs on suicide

Post by Beth McHugh »

Thanks Brenda, I am so glad that you have been able to find peace at last despite the "efforts" of your birth family and no doubt others in your life who do not understand.
Suicide is a taboo topic and, for other readers, you can find all my articles on this topic at http://youronlinecounselor.com/Suicide.htm.
I became aware of the way the majority of the population feel about suicide while working as a grief counselor. While nobody wants to talk about death, even less want to talk about suicide. In my articles I describe how people not only want to avoid the issue of suicide but become so enraged with the deceased that they refuse to attend the funeral. I wonder how the greiving family deal with that behavior.

Brenda, Despite your hardships, you have made it, and you are stronger than those who would prefer to look the other way. It's small comfort when you are going through hell, but knowing you have that inner core of strength that some others do not possess, will make you triumph in the end.

Thank you for your comments.

Best,
Beth
ImageBeth McHugh
B.Sc (Hons). B.Psych. Dip.Sc.
Principal, Your Online Counselor
bbarker550
Spam Check: No
Spam Sum: 15

Re: Gratitudes for the blogs on suicide

Post by bbarker550 »

You're welcome and thanks for you.